Portable TVs didn’t exist until 1958 when Philco Safari created their first unit. It weighed little over 15 pounds and was selling at 250 dollars. Today’s portable TVs weigh even less than a pound. They are used for emergencies or away from home, for instance, in camps. Unlike their analog predecessors, the TVs we have today use digital signals. As such, they are clearer and have improved sounds.
- 10. Sykik SYDVD9116 10.1” TV
- 9. Buyee Handheld Portable Tv/ VCD/cd/mp3/mp4/usb
- 8. RCA T227 7″ Portable TV
- 7. Eviant T7 7’’ Handheld TV
- 6. RCA 7″ Portable LCD TV
- 5. Envizen Digital ED8890A Portable Television
- 4. Digital Prism ATSC-710 Portable Handheld TV
- 3. SuperSonic Portable Digital TV
- 2. Axess TV and DVD Player
- 1. Axess TV1703-7 7’’ LCD TV
What you need to know before purchasing a Portable TV
Size and weight
Portable TVs come in different sizes and weights. To identify what unit to go for, you’ll need to determine where you intend to use it. For instance, if you need a TV you can use to catch on your games in the office, a unit with a 3-inch screen is just enough. On the other side, if you need to take your movies to the camping site, a TV with a 7-inch or 13-inch screen is ideal.
Consider how much how intend to spend. These gadgets cost between 50 and 500 dollars. Notably, most of the cheap units have been found to bring along several flaws either in terms of signal reception or poor images and audios.
Let’s face it: There’s no way you’ll be watching TV all day long. Sometimes you’ll love playing a movie from the CD/DVD or listen to some music. As such, a portable TV that combines all this goodness should top the list. On this note still, it should be able to play music or videos in different formats to prevent inconveniences.
10. Sykik SYDVD9116 10.1” TV
- By: Sykik
- Item Weight: 4.4 pounds
- Product Dimensions: 12.8 x 9.4 x 6.9 inches
This Sykik SYDVD9116 portable TV hasn’t been on the market for long. However, it’s amongst the best handheld units I would recommend to you. Why? Let’s see. First and foremost, you’ll love its 10.1’’ screen. This display has superior 1024 x 600 Resolution. You’ll doubtlessly believe when I tell you that this is enough resolution to enjoy your thrillers and movies anywhere and at any time. Secondly, the screen uses an axle to mount on a flat base. It, therefore, rotates 1800. This makes it easy to position it almost anywhere. Moreover, it features a built-in rechargeable lithium polymer batter which will take you for up to 3 hours per charge. Skykik SYDVD9116 comes with AC adapter, a car cigarette power adapter, and black stereo headphones.
- It has an eye-catching design
- It has dual-voltage for universal usage
- Its 10-inch screen doesn’t offer enough privacy
9. Buyee Handheld Portable Tv/ VCD/cd/mp3/mp4/usb
- By: Buyee
- Item Weight: 2.9 pounds
- Product Dimensions: 14.9 x 8.5 x 2.9 inches
Buyee is amongst the most versatile units in this niche. Mind you, it’s not only a TV but will also play movies and music from CD, DVD+, DVD, R/RW, and SD Card. It also plays files in different formats including mp3, VOG, JPEG, MPG, and AVI. All these will allow you to take your TV on the go. Furthermore, Buyee features a swiveling widescreen with a 16:9 dimension ratio. This makes it easy to rotate for comfortable and customized viewership. Unfortunately, its lithium-polymer battery lasts only 2 hours with each charge which is a little bit inconveniencing. Even further, the power cords are too short and may require replacement.
- It plays files from DVD, VCD, Flash discs, and SD Cards
- Supports different formats
- It has superior resolution for quality images
- The 12V power cord is short
8. RCA T227 7″ Portable TV
- By: RCA
- Item Weight: 1 pounds
- Product Dimensions: 9.8 x 2.5 x 11.3 inches
For those who need something even smaller, this RCA T1227 Portable TV is yours. In fact, it’s the best-selling unit on Amazon at the moment and for a reason. This LCD TV 9.8’’ x 2.5’’ x 11.3’’ and has a 7’’ screen display. In addition, it weighs 0.88lbs only. These measurements coupled by the headphone jack included in the package let you enjoy your TV with utmost privacy be it in the camp, office, or during a vacation. This TV also boasts a flip out stand that offers different options for positioning it.
- Its tab-like design makes it easy to carry almost anywhere
- It has easy-to-use parental controls and a fully-functional remote too
- It weighs less than a pound
- You’ll need to replace the antenna
7. Eviant T7 7’’ Handheld TV
- By: Eviant
- Item Weight: 1.5 pounds
- Product Dimensions: 5.7 x 1.1 x 7.3 inches
Eviant T7 doesn’t come with whistles and bells like the previous models. However, the few features it has to offer are delivered in quality and dependability. Firstly, most of its previous users are praising its super clear images. Unfortunately, you’ll only be able to get clear pictures while the unit is stationary. It’s then fitted with an onboard tuner and a 6-button remote control too. It comes with a carrying pouch that you can use to take anywhere. The only downside is that it may experience some problems getting signals in some locations. However, this can be solved by connecting it to your external TV antennae.
- It’s easy to set up
- It has superior images and colors
- It comes ready to use in vehicles
- Its antenna doesn’t pick up any signals in some places. It requires replacement
6. RCA 7″ Portable LCD TV
- By: RCA
- Item Weight: 2.3 pounds
- Product Dimensions: 9.8 x 11.3 x 2.5 inches
The most noticeable feature about this LCD TV is that you need not be a tech savvy to operate. Secondly, it also has a sleeker design. Regrettably, I would not advise you to fall for it due to the looks. Most users report that it has lots of problem getting signals. As such, in my opinion, this is better suited for people who reside near TV signal towers. That aside, this RCA weighs less than a pound and offers both analog and remove controls.
- The product has a sleek design with a detachable antenna
- It offers straight-forward controls
- Flip-out stand
- It has poor reception in some areas
5. Envizen Digital ED8890A Portable Television
- By: Envizen Digital
- Item Weight: 1.9 pounds
- Product Dimensions: 9.4 x 6.9 x 1.7 inches
Envizen Digital ED8890A is a 3-in-1 unit bringing a TV, DVD, and a multimedia player in one device. It has a higher price than other models in this list. However, it still leads them in terms of reviews. This could be so because of its advanced craftsmanship. It has a swiveling 9’’ screen with 800×480 resolution. Envizen ED8890A also comes ready to use in the car. Unfortunately, most people have reported that it has weak signal reception. As such, it may not be ideal if you need it for emergency.
- It’s a TV and DVD in one unit
- It’s stylish
- It has a good resolution
- It has poor reception
4. Digital Prism ATSC-710 Portable Handheld TV
- By: Digital Prism
- Item Weight: 2.8 pounds
- Product Dimensions: 12.1 x 6.6 x 6.1 inches
Do you feel that you have a fortune to spend on a portable TV? You should consider this Digital Prism ATSC-710. This TV has a compact design with a 7’’ screen. You’ll find it easy to carry for camps, during trips, and to the park too. It also comes with a car cigarette adapter and can, therefore, be used on almost any vehicle. In addition, Digital Prism features a built-in Integrated Tuner that helps it receive an array of digital broadcasts. Besides TV, this unit also offers video games output to keep your children busy. Is it worth your bucks? Yes. I appreciate its high feature-to-price ratio. On the downside, it doesn’t have a stand.
- It has great pictures
- Its battery keeps power for long
- It’s expensive
3. SuperSonic Portable Digital TV
- By: SuperSonic
- Item Weight: 1.3 pounds
- Product Dimensions: 8 x 6 x 12 inches
The juiciest part about this portable TV is its low cost. Coming at slightly above 50 bucks, you can’t compare it to Digital Prism which costs over 200 dollars. So what does Supersonic has for you? It offers a 7’’ widescreen supported on a thoughtfully-designed stand. You’ll also be able to play your items from USB and SD cards.
- It has a sleek design
- It can either be mounted or hand-held
- Several users report that it dies fast
2. Axess TV and DVD Player
- By: Axess
- Item Weight: 4.8 pounds
- Product Dimensions: 13.6 x 4.7 x 11.4 inches
Besides the sleek design featured by this Axess TV, it also has other numerous likable benefits. For instance, its 500:1 contrast ratio offers you quality images in almost any light intensity. Again, this TV comes with Card Cord Technology. This means that you can follow your games or movies non-stop using your car’s battery. Again, it comes with a fully functional remote. It also has an onboard DVD player. The only con is that the screen is enormous and may not fit certain situations. However, its brother 1703-7 below is also another favorable choice.
- It has a 13’’ widescreen and may be used as the main TV
- It has a stable base
- It has poor sound quality
1. Axess TV1703-7 7’’ LCD TV
- By: Axess
- Item Weight: 13.6 ounces
- Product Dimensions: 10.2 x 10.5 x 10 inches
This compact TV offers the convenience of being mounted, for instance, on kitchen shelves or in the basement. Additionally, it can also be hand-held and used as a tablet. It has a 7’’ screen with impressive 400 by 234 resolution. A unique feature about Axess TV1703-7 is that it allows you to store up to 5 favorite programs. It also has enough storage space for up to 69 channels. Its only downside is its speakers may not be good enough in a noisy room.
- It has clear pictures
- It has superior reception
- It has a weak sound amplifier