The pipe wrench also referred to as Stillson wrench was invented and patented in 1870 by Daniel C. Stillson. The difference between spanners and adjustable pipe wrenches is that the latter has a jaw-like end that can be moved up and down to offer a better grip on different sized bolts, nuts, and tubes. Adjustable wrenches are commonly used in plumbing, auto repair, bicycle and motorcycle repair, and furniture assembly.
When buying an adjustable pipe wrench, some of the key factors to consider include:
The scope of work: identifying why you need the wrench helps in making sure that you get exactly what you need. For instance, this will help you get a tool with perfect measurements to fit your projects’ limits.
The versatility of use: as a rule of thumb, always go for a tool with which you can accomplish most of your projects without having to carry a full bag of wrenches. Though this also depends on the scope of work, having a wrench that’ll tackle future tasks always puts you on the professionals’ side. In addition, it’s important to make sure that the wrench will be of help in all areas including tight areas.
Ease of use: Traditional wrenches consists of metallic handles that may easily injure your palm with heavy-duty tasks. If you have soft hands that may require some form of protection like mine, going for a tool with a padded handle is always a safe idea.
Construction material and design: the material used in making these tools matters a lot. This is because you’ll probably require them for heavy-duty tasks involving twisting and pulling. The jaws should be easy to adjust and should hold on the preset position. The teeth should be sharp and sturdy enough to hold onto slippery tubes and pipes firmly. Chrome vanadium alloy steel is commonly used and is known for its durability. The wrench should also be rust proof and corrosion resistant for prolonged use.
- 10. Goplus 4pcs Adjustable Pipe Wrench Set
- 9. Ridgid 86902 6’’ Adjustable Wrench
- 8. Ridgid 86932 24’’ Adjustable Wrench
- 7. Monilon Adjustable Wrench
- 6. VISE-GRIP 2078612 Wrench, 12-Inch
- 5. Neiko 03412A Self-Adjusting Pipe Wrench
- 4. Vise Grip 274001SM 11’’ Adjustable Pipe Wrench
- 3. Bahco 9070 RP-US 6-Inch Adjustable Wrench
- 2. Tradespro 830914 14’’ Pipe Wrench
- 1. Channellock 8WCB Wrench
10. Goplus 4pcs Adjustable Pipe Wrench Set
- By: Goplus
- Item Weight: 9.7 pounds
- Product Dimensions: 16.3 x 3.5 x 3.5 inches
Coming up first in this review list, Goplus is a set of 4 brothers aiming at making those painstaking duties more of a breeze. The wrenches measure 8″ 10″ 14″ 18″ respectively. Adding on top of this, these heavy duty wrenches’ jaws and nuts have gone through drop forged and heat treated process. Even better, their movable jaws have size markings to make your projects more precise. Again, their heads come along with heavy duty springs that offer sure grips and quick releases.
- This is a multifunctional set that is useful in various projects including tight areas
- The materials used in the construction of these wrenches are very superior that grant them a longer life
- The set is only reliable for a homeowner not for professional plumbing
9. Ridgid 86902 6’’ Adjustable Wrench
- By: Ridgid
- Item Weight: 3.5 ounces
- Product Dimensions:
This multi-purpose 6-inch adjustable wrench is the recommendation for almost all your twisting needs. From the costing corner, it is a fairly priced tool that will offer you several years of excellent service with minimal maintenance. It originates in the USA by Western Forge, a company that has been in this business for over 93 years now. This heavy duty pipe wrench comprises of superior grade steel, forged and heat-treated for extended durability.
- It comes with a lifetime warranty
- Made of high-quality materials
- The SAE Metric jaw scales make it easy and fast to adjust
- Its rough finish may not please everyone
8. Ridgid 86932 24’’ Adjustable Wrench
- By: Ridgid
- Item Weight: 6.7 pounds
- Product Dimensions: 24.8 x 7.1 x 7.1 inches
Whether you are a mechanical engineer or you just require a wrench for around-the-home projects, you would never go wrong with Ridgid 86932. Just like the previous model discussed above, this one comes from its manufacturer in the US, and it has a tag of a lifetime warranty. Its high-grade construction materials are a proof of its integrity. Most important of all, this wrench features chrome vanadium alloy steel which has then been finished with cobalt to protect it from rust and corrosion.
- It’s offers quick adjustment thanks to the SAE and Metric jaw scales
- Durable and heavy-duty
- Quite expensive
7. Monilon Adjustable Wrench
- By: Monilon
- Item Weight: 1 pounds
- Product Dimensions: 12.2 x 0.6 x 1.6 inches
Standing in the eighth position, this is another high-quality adjustable wrench you shouldn’t hesitate to add to your tools arsenal. First of all, it’s a heavy-duty 2 headed wrench with a universal construction that eliminates the need to carry several wrenches. Next, its long arm allows you to put an incredible twisting force making your work 1000 times easier and time-saving. In addition, this wrench utilizes superior quality carbon steel in its construction, precisely forged for longevity of use. This wrench is ideal for 8-42 mm water pipes, screws, and nuts. Last, but not least, it bears accurate measurements for efficiency.
- Its design eliminates the need for several wrenches
- The accurate measurements make work easier and efficient
- It’s not hard enough for extremely heavy-duty tasks
6. VISE-GRIP 2078612 Wrench, 12-Inch
- By: Irwin Tools
- Item Weight: 1.5 pounds
- Product Dimensions: 14.8 x 4.4 x 1 inches
Vise-Grip 2078612 brings the convenience of storage and ease of use to become one of the tools you can rely on at home. One of the readily noticeable features about it is the rubberized ProTouch grips that offer you incredible comfort with reduced fatigue no matter your projects. Besides, this wrench is extremely durable having been made of super strong chrome vanadium. It’s a multifunctional tool with 1 1/2 maximum jaw width.
- Its padded handle is more comfortable than metal handles
- The jaw slides effortlessly and maintains your desired size
- The handle padding makes it a little bit heavier
5. Neiko 03412A Self-Adjusting Pipe Wrench
- By: Neiko
- Item Weight: 15 pounds
- Product Dimensions: 21.3 x 4.2 x 3.9 inches
What makes this set of 4 pipe wrenches unique from others is their self-adjusting functionality. This offers quick and sure grip even in one-hand operations. Looking at the measurements, their sizes 10, 14, 18 and 24 inches are amongst the most common and will, therefore, be effective in most projects without failure or frustrations. The best part is that they serve the perfect purpose to make torquing, adjusting, fitting, and pipe-work faster and easier.
- The set has all you need for almost any project
- The wrenches are self-adjusting for quick grips and releases
- Though sold as heavy-duty, they break easily with hard jobs
4. Vise Grip 274001SM 11’’ Adjustable Pipe Wrench
- By: Irwin Tools
- Item Weight: 1.5 pounds
- Product Dimensions: 2.9 x 9.6 x 0.7 inches
As the fourth most popular wrench in the market, we have another great tool from Irwin Tools specially designed to define greatness. Obviously, it is the ingenious construction by a professional for professional use. With this high quality, this tool seeks to enhance your speed while being convenient in almost any project even in confined spaces. It’s a one-hand use tool with a 2 ¼’’ jaw capacity.
- Its one-hand use functionality makes working in confined areas easier and hassle-free
- Lighter than other wrenches hence it causes less fatigue
- The teeth lose their grip at times and may frustrate when highly needed
3. Bahco 9070 RP-US 6-Inch Adjustable Wrench
- By: Bahco Tools
- Item Weight: 4.8 ounces
- Product Dimensions: 6 x 2 x 0.4 inches
Bahco 9070 RP is a versatile adjustable wrench meant for use by electricians, plumbers, and maintenance workers. One thing you’re more likely to like about it is the easily reversible jaw that offers incredibly versatile grips when used either as an adjustable spanner or a pipe wrench. This tool has 6-inches long thermoplastic, specially hardened to allow you to put enough force while turning or twisting.
- The reversible jaw makes it an excellent backup
- It has a comfortable handle that won’t hurt your palms
- It’s pricey though worth every buck
2. Tradespro 830914 14’’ Pipe Wrench
- By: Tradespro
- Item Weight: 3 pounds
- Product Dimensions: 11.4 x 2.2 x 0.6 inches
This tool boasts most of the unique features you’d be looking for in an adjustable wrench. From durability to extreme functionality, Tradespro 830914 won’t fail you. Its head is made of hardened carbon steel and has sandblast finish to withstand drops. Its 14’’ long handle is made of malleable iron and has a hole for on-the-wall hanging. Tradespro 830914 also has 10’’, 18’’, and 24’’ brothers you should look out for.
- It has a durable construction for long lasting use
- Its handle has a superior finish for added comfort
- It’s head wobbles and may consequently lose its grip easily.
1. Channellock 8WCB Wrench
- By: Channellock
- Item Weight: 12.5 ounces
- Product Dimensions: 12.5 x 1 x 4 inches
This easily adjustable pipe wrench has been the most highly rated and reviewed so far and with a reason. To begin with, its padded handle is all you need for comfortable and quick around-the-home projects. Its longer and thinner jaws make this a force to reckon with. They offer super grips and easy access in tight areas. Its chrome vanadium construction and heat-treatment assure you that you can rely on the wrench for any use.
- It has a sturdy extra wide mouth for increased versatility
- It’s lightweight
- It’s relatively expensive